Friday, February 29, 2008

Things I don't want to be when I grow up

1.  A water polo player.

2.  A mermaid.

Okay.  But why come to this realization now, you ask?  

Well, first, last Saturday my swimming workout called for 3,350 yards*, 600 of which were "head up swimming, aka water-polo swimming."  Doesn't sound too bad.  I mean many people out there swim with their heads up regularly and water polo players do it while trying to throw and catch and avoid getting the crap beat out of them.  Well, you want to know something?  These people?  They're on crack.  That stuff is SO hard.  Seriously.  I was huffing and puffing and not going very fast and had to talk myself into just ONE MORE FIFTY every single time.  But I did it and realized that yeah, water polo?  Not in my future.  And, I also realized that there is a little muscle or ligament or something in the back of your head where your head meets your neck, and water polo swimming makes it hurt1

Then, the next Monday (that would be two days after the epic Saturday swim, for those of you keeping track at home), my workout called for 300 yards of cross legged swimming.  This might not sound that hard (it didn't sound that hard to me ... could it really be that different than pulling) WELL let me tell you.  That shit is hard.  My legs were at a 90 degree angle to my body and I really thought I was just going to sink.  Straight down to the bottom of the pool.  It made me feel for those people (ahem, dave) that are prone to sinking.  It makes swimming a lot harder.  And with that I realized, that I'd be a really bad, BAD, mermaid.

*Potentially the furthest I've ever swim, and definitely the furthest I've gone since sometime in HS.  ROCKstar;)

1 comment:

Dave said...

Love the shout outs. I will have you know that I now understand what you mean when you say, "swim downhill," thus my feet don't touch the bottom of the pool when I swim. And it helps.